1. Be certain You know Him personally
- How does one know if he is a child of God? You just know – you know that you know that you know. His Spirit bears witness with your spirit. It should be as clear as if someone asked you, “Are you married?” You would not reply, “Well, I think so,” or, “I hope so.” God has told us in 1 John 5:13 that we can know that we have eternal life. There is no need to go through life wondering whether Christ has saved you or if you have just been playing a religious game. You can settle the issue.
- We receive salvation through faith in Jesus, and Him alone. If you would be willing to: 1) repent of your sins (turning away from sin), 2) put all your faith and trust in Jesus, and 3) make Him the Lord (Boss) of your life, then God will do the rest.
- Pray to Him now and commit your heart and life to Him.
- In summary, it makes no sense to bend the knee as an act of worship if we have not first bent the heart and life toward God. Worship ultimately occurs in the spirit (John 4), and whereas man looks on the outward appearance, God always looks on the heart. May He find in us a pure heart.
From The Practice of Praise by Don McMinn, W Pub Group (c) 1993