I have the pleasure of serving with one of my best friends and mentors in ministry, Tim Shrader. Pastor Tim is currently my pastor and the lead pastor at First Baptist Church in Litchfield, IL, where I serve as worship pastor. Tim and I have known each other for 20 years and I was privileged to work with him while I was serving as a music intern at Southcliff Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas while working on my master’s in music.
Tim, in my personal opinion, is one of the best orators/preachers in the Midwest, if not the U.S. I know I have not served everywhere and heard everyone, but Tim is the only preaching pastor that I have sat under from week to week in 29 years of ministry that can hold my attention for 45 minutes or more! (Having A.D.D. that is no small accomplishment.) Here is a link to his Sermons over the last 3 1/2 years: http://fbclitchfield.sermon.net
Pastor Tim is currently teaching/preaching a series on Ezra and Nehemiah. The remainder of this blog are his notes. As a person who has dealt with fear from a young age, I found this message particularly life impacting and I hope you will, too. You can listen to it by clicking on the link above.
Faithful Over Fearful
Text: Ezra 3:1-7
- Faith makes fear powerless.
- Fear should do one thing: move us to Faith.
- God says, “Do not be afraid… for I will protect you.” Genesis 15:1
- “Do not fear, for God has heard.” Genesis 21:17
- “Do not be afraid, for I am with you.” Genesis 26:24
- “Don’t be afraid. Stand firm and see the Lord’s salvation He will provide for you today.” Exodus 14:13
- And He reminds us through His Word: Don’t be afraid of the people of the land… the Lord is with us! Don’t be afraid of them! Numbers 14:9
- When we live in fear, we rob God of his miracle potential.
- Lord, I give you my fears. I give you my fear of ______. I give them fully to you, God, and I ask you to defeat them in my life. When I am tempted to take them back, remind me Lord, of this prayer that I gave them to you. Thank you for taking my fears away. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
- I gave God my fear of ________ and he took it. (2-10-2013)
- Faith is meant to be lived publicly.
- Respect authority. By faith, fear God.
- Be encouraged, and encourage others: Psalm 56:4, Deuteronomy 31:8, Matthew 28:10, Joshua 1:9, Isaiah 41:10, Deuteronomy 1:21, Revelation 1:17-18.